Who Should Apply?
PolyU requires all new full-time staff with regular teaching responsibilities to complete the certificate programme ¡§Introduction to University Teaching (IUT)¡¨.
New staff who meet the following criteria can be exempted:
- Possess at least one year of full-time teaching experience at an university at Lecturer/Assistant Professor level or above, or
- Have received teacher training equivalent to IUT (at least 20 hours on topics that focus on the teaching and learning process)
The policy document can be found at https://www2.polyu.edu.hk/edc/staff_corner/iut.html.
New teachers who have met the criteria and wish to be exempted should fill out the Exemption Declaration Form and send it to their Head of Department, cc a copy to EDC (Ms Tirzah Wu at email@example.com or by fax 23341569) for programme planning purposes.
Those who have met the criteria but wish to attend the programme are most welcome to enrol!
PolyU places high value on good teaching. This certificate programme is designed to get new PolyU teachers off to a good start.
It is intended that through participating in this programme, new teachers will be able to:
- Lay strong foundations for active learning from the first class.
- Plan lessons that take account of how students learn, the characteristics of PolyU students, and PolyU policies and practices.
- Design and use tasks that will help students learn in different teaching and learning contexts.
- Interact with students in a respectful way and take account of their opinions.
- Communicate effectively in the classroom.
- Use technology to help students learn.
- Choose assessment methods that are fit for purpose.
- Prevent and manage inappropriate classroom behaviour.
- Reflect on and improve their teaching skills.
IUT is designed as a flipped programme. It adopts a ¡§blended learning¡¨ approach in which participants experience both face-to-face learning and online learning. Participants are encouraged and supported to carefully think about how to apply what they have learned in their own class.
The workshops and out-of-class activities are ones that can be easily adapted to different disciplines and teaching contexts. The teaching practice module provides participants with the opportunity to reflect on and get feedback about their strengths as a teacher and what they might do to further improve
Certification of Attendance
The Certificate in Introduction to University Teaching will be awarded to participants for meeting the following requirements:
- Attending all face-to-face and online modules (21 hours in all), including a teaching practice session (opportunities are provided to make up missed modules because of departmental obligations)
- Completing out-of-class readings and tasks (about 7 hours)
Modules and Outcomes